Thursday, September 18, 2008
"It's time to be patriotic"
If this moment wasn't on tape, I be making excuses for him because I'd be sure he was being misquoted. But Biden actually said "we want to take money and put it back in the pockets of middle class people" which sounds lovely and noble, except that you have to start asking yourself where they're going to get the money they're going to take and give. And how are they going to take it to give it? And what do they mean by "middle class"?

When the interviewer interjected that she understood Obama's plan for getting this money to be to tax people earning more than $250,000, he leaned forward into her space (does anyone but me still use that phrase?) and said "you got it, it's time to be patriotic, Kate ... time to be part of the deal [what does that mean?], time to help get America out of the rut...." and he smiled one of those lips-only smiles that body language experts warn you about. Anyway I wondered if anyone but me find this equation of paying taxes and being patriotic weird. I could understand words like obligation or duty or even "the breaks" especially considering what other countries' taxes are often like, but patriotic seems like an odd choice of words. I wonder what the hundred-plus million voters think of it.

Labels:

Permalink | | posted by jau at 4:22 PM


1 more:
Blogger Ms.Daisy — at 11:27 PM, September 18, 2008:
I thought it was a strange choice of words, also, when I heard it - "God love the man!" Biden seems to throw out words without thinking about them and expects us to think it is just his brilliant intellect. Too bad, 'cause we don't.
 

< home >


Post a Comment

< home